Another first...

Mason had his first real "accident" yesterday. It was a moment I have been dreading since I knew I had a son and realizing that the nickname "Kramer" doesn't run in Andy's family for nothing!

We were at Babies R Us and he was wanting to walk around instead of sit in the cart, like normal, so I let him walk over to the toy area. There was a little tricycle in the aisle and he went over to it. I helped him get on and tried to show him how to turn the foot pedals. He got frustrated and wanted off so I was trying to help him off when somehow, he slipped and the bike tipped over and off he fell. We were at the end of the aisle and I think he must have hit his mouth either on the bike or the rack at the end of the aisle because when I picked him up and looked at him, his mouth was full of blood and he was, of course, balling hysterically. I really didn't know what to do in that moment - I remember thinking "stay calm" and I ran with him to the front of the store where the cashier's are - they saw me coming and ran to get some paper towels. I sat him down on the counter and tried to see where the blood was coming from - I was so worried that he had knocked a tooth out or something. Of course he did not want me opening his mouth and was just crying so hard! The bleeding stopped pretty quickly, thank the Lord and I was able to see that he had a tiny cut on the inside of his bottom lip. I could tell that his top gums must have also been bleeding because his top front teeth were all bloody too. He calmed down and just wanted me to hold him close. The manager came up and made sure he was okay and took down my name for the report she was going to have to write, proceeded to help me with my purchases and out the door we went. On the way home, I noticed the right side of Mason's top lip was starting to look swollen and sure enough, by the time we were home, it was definitely a "fat lip." Poor little guy!

He was kind of cranky and tired so I tried to clean him up and give him some milk and some lunch. He took a nap a little later and woke up just fine. Here is a picture of his lip, although I didn't take it til later that night so the swelling had already gone down some. As Andy said when I called and told him about it, "it won't be the last time that happens," but I am hoping the Kramer gene gets weaker as it gets passed down!

2 comments:

Christie Smith said...

Sorry you had to go through that. He is still too cute even with a fat lip. I used to get those all the time as a kid.

Allison said...

AAAwww, poor Mason! I wish i could give you hope that this is the end of the accidents, but that is very doubtful. we always thought cole would be the accident-prone child, but camryn has totally surpassed him.

I have bible study on Friday morning, but the rest of the day is free, so i would love to hang out!!