Hospitality

This morning at church, our pastor talked about a subject that really strikes a chord in my heart. It is something I feel that God has called me to possess and live out in any way that I can. Hospitality. As Tom spoke, I was saddened at how rare it is for people in our society to open their homes to those in need and share that which is most personal to us, our space and resources. I was filled with humility at the thought of how much God has given me and how rarely I seek out those in need, not just monetarily, but those just in need of a kind word or action. We were encouraged to pray for a hospitality heart, to meet new people (at church and around us), and to invite people into our home on a regular basis.

I began thinking back at my life and thought of the hundreds of people that my parents invited into our home for meals, holidays, or other random occasions. The countless number of times my parents hosted small groups for church as well as home-school functions. I remembered all of the people that stayed with us, whether for a weekend or for months on end. One man that comes to mind had recently gotten out of jail and needed a family to love on him. Another family of 4 was here from another country and needed a place to live and help getting oriented to the city. Another family of 5 was just going through a rough patch and needed a place to stay for several months as they sorted through job and financial stuff. One of my favorites was a single, college-age student who had previously been a neighbor of ours. She was interning at a church and needed a place to stay in town - she lived in our basement and was so wonderful to go and chat with late at night. I could probably think of countless others but perhaps the ones that changed my life the most were the 15 or so foster children that lived in our home for different periods of time. I can't remember all of them - some of them were only there a week or a month, but there are a few that stayed longer and became a part of our family. My heart smiles as I think about those kids - I wonder where they are and how they're doing. I don't know the specific reasons why God wanted us to be apart of their lives, but I know he was doing just as much in us through it (if not more!) as for them. And then of course there's Jesse, who became a permanent member of our family. He will always have a special place in my heart, not only as my brother but as God showing me that family is so much more than genetics.

I am just so thankful that my parents accepted this calling and in doing so, touched countless people's lives. As I look back now, as a wife and mother myself, I realize that a lot of these things were not easy or convenient for them - but they opened their door and their hearts anyway. I also realize that this was not the norm. I just thought it was normal for families to take in other families in need and share what they had. I see now that my family was unique in a wonderful way. I feel like my mom was such a true example of someone who knew what it meant to be hospitable. I'm sure there were days my Dad would come home from work and would have to hear about a new idea my mom had - but he was faithful and they worked as a team. It never ceases to amaze me how much I have learned from my mom, even now that she has been gone for so long - her life, as short as it was, was such an example in so many ways.

Now that I have gone on and on... to those of you still reading... I just wanted to share those thoughts and really, mostly as a reminder for myself to practice hospitality, even amidst a busy schedule and the difficulty of finding time, to MAKE time and push myself to go beyond my comfort level and reach out to those around me. Even if it is inconvenient for my family or means putting someone else first, this is what I feel God is calling me to do.


1 Peter 4:8-9

Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful and appropriate tribute to the spiritual gift of your mom. Thanks for sharing, Alli.

Allison said...

This was such an awesome post, Alli. I just love hearing your heart, and you are right, your family was not the norm at all. Hospitality is such an amazing spiritual gift, and your mom definitely had it. But we are all told by God to practice hospitality, and i like you, don't do it near enough. Miss you and love you lots!

milemarker114 said...

I loved reading that post. It was inspiring, and a good reminder that all it takes is for us to open our eyes to the needs around us and choose to be a part of them. It is never convient for us, but I believe it can make an eternal difference.